Sunday, July 11, 2010

wugs - an explanation

First, I should probably explain the name of my blog.
A wug is an imaginary animal, used in language acquisition research to test children's acquisition of the english plural morpheme.

Then the kid should answer "wugs!"

Urban dictionary definition #9 says that a Wug is "white thug, who thinks he is gangster and hard." #12 says: "a wanna-be thug", and #13: Acronym for Wow You're Gay.

While I do actually think i'm a white thug, this is not what the title means. When i first met my boyfriend and was telling him about my love for linguistics I described the whole Wug test (which he probably was not listening to but just laughing in his head at the word wug - I would have done the same), anyways it became kind of a joke about my extreme nerdiness when it comes to language and science. So when we both were at that point where we wanted to say those three little words but didn't quite want to just say it out loud yet, he sent me a text that just said: "i wug you".
It pretty much melted my heart, and the line became a real hit. (note- i wouldn't suggest using this line on other girls, but it worked on me). So wug came to mean love/affection/adorableness/hugs and all that other mushy stuff. It's our little code, so nobody else has to know we are being mushy, and instead think we are just being super weird.
So the title is just that: Love and Language (and a pre-emtive warning about the nerdiness/absurdity of this blog in general and the posts to come)


On another note, I've also deemed this blog the place where I will put all my ponderings musings and thoughts that are probably not appropriate to talk to people about on a daily basis (especially when they didn't ask) but that I still have to get them out into the world somehow (!) so very little censoring will happen here. People censor themselves all the time in every social situation, and that is necessary. But sometimes I have so much to say that it needs to go somewhere (!) Freud's description of the Ego makes sense in this situation, and named properly. In kindergarten they call it the Golden Rule, modern science blames it on the prefrontal cortex, and my mother just calls it "stop before you think, think before you talk."

But the point is, I need to talk, and the internet likes to listen :)



No comments:

Post a Comment